Monday 1 June 2015

Setup, Testing and Bug investigation



At my session at Let's Test last week I had a slide where letters S, T and B were shown. I asked the audience if they could guess what the letters stood for. It seemed that no one had an instant clue (I waited just a few seconds, maybe if I have had more patience I am sure someone would have guessed) so I revealed the answer: Setup, Testing and Bug investigation.


When we had James Bach on site for corporate training about four years ago, I was introduced to Session-based Test Management (SBTM) and I really liked the concept of measuring a testers time spent divided into S, T and B.

If I remember correctly (or at least this is how I use the terms nowadays) it is like this a bit simplified:

  • Testing - testing the product
  • Bug investigation - problem investigation
  • Setup - the rest of your time
Also Michel Bolton had a great post about S, T and B a few years ago where he interviewed a tester how his weekly hours at work was divided between the three letters mentioned.

I have a feeling that many of us testers not having that much "T-time" as we wish we had. One of the key points at my Let's Test session is that testability features or tools can help us having more time in the "T-area".

 
I created a PDF based on my session slides which I guess will be published at Let's Test site within a near future. But since the slides does not do the session justice for those who did not attended I will try to publish a series of blog posts that elaborates a bit about my topic, stay tuned...


2 comments:

Nita said...

Excellent blog and very well written.I work at mobile app testing Company and this information seems to be very useful.Keep sharing such posts!

Unknown said...

We can help you reach your marketing lists or Sales Leads
Email Appending list is continuously updated with most accurate, quality and verified contacts.

Jmeter Developer Database provide complete marketing information such as
· First Name, Last Name
· Business Name
· Practice Specialty, Specialty Code
· Email, Postal Address and Zip Code
· SIC /NAICS Code and NPI Numbers.
· Phone Number and Fax Number
· License Number
· Web address