Thursday 14 May 2009

Test framework - Multiple tool support

To design a robust and cost effective automation framework is a complex task...

This morning a read a good post about Programming Paradigms in Test Automation which I can recommend reading.

I have on my agenda to switch from VBScript to Java in my framework. I have realized that this process is going to take a while since I have not yet found a decent tool for the GUI testing part...

I am currently evaluating Watij and so far it seems really promising since it can deal with pop-ups much better than Selenium. However, test execution speed is not that good when running Watij (QTP or worse) from IDEA so next step is to see how it handles stand-alone execution...stay tuned

Since I want to support multiple tools/langauges in my framework I have decided to move all SQL from code to Store procedures for easier maintenance. Here is an overview picture of how it will look like when implemented:

3 comments:

Loron said...

i do aprove of tool support...but some of them are so expensive...it's....

Stefan Thelenius said...

Hi,

VBScript and Java are free but QTP is quite expensive (if you want to scale up test execution). I guess most companies have an SQL Server installation already so adding a database should not be that expensive...

sahajamit said...

I liked the the whole idea of moving the framework from VbScript to JavaScript. I am also working on the similar thing. We have designed a framework which uses its own SQL database, has its own reporting mechanism but we are using QTP just to have an execution environment. I am planning to replace QTP with some open source automation tool to remove the cost of QTP from the framework.

I have explored Selenium but faced some serious problems with the pop up handing capability.

I have never tried Watij but will try to explore it.